Saturday, March 8, 2014

Water Birth Story Anne Jacob

Anne Jacob works as an Assistant Professor at the KMEA Engineering College, Pookattupady, Ernakulam. When her husband Jacob Mathew and she conceived their first baby, she started going for Lamaze classes at the local Birth center. “Actually it was my mother in law who put me on to it. She had a friend at her club in Kottayam, whose daughter had taken the classes at the center. When I joined, I was really happy to experience that everything was so down to earth, and I could ask any doubts that I had and would get complete attention and explanations.” Anne.
When Anne conceived, she was sure that she wanted a C-section. “All of the women on my mother’s side of the family had only had Caesarean births. I thought it was the best way to handle a birth – and I totally supported it. I was totally nervous about the pain of childbirth. It was after I started Lamaze that I began to hear the other side of the story – and started understanding that this was not the best procedure for your body. I talked to my friends, who have had C-sections, and all of them told me about how long it took for their body to recover and about other complications and hassles they had to face. “
“On my husband’s side of the family, they have all had normal deliveries. So when I started understanding things more clearly, I started to change my mind. By the time I was at my fifth Lamaze class, my fear about childbirth was almost gone. I understood how my body works, what this experience would be like and how I could deal with it.” As a routine part of the classes, the midwife discusses all the birth options that are available to the mothers, and then they choose which they prefer. Anne was really intrigued by the idea of a water birth and how it would help ease the pain. “I checked all of the information available on the internet. By the end of it, I was sure that this was the way for me to have the baby.”
The birth experience was quite amazing and different from what Anne had anticipated. “My pregnancy progressed past 40 weeks. But we were going for hospital checkups as well, so the last scan we did showed that everything was normal, so we were quite cool about everything.” At forty one weeks and a few days, Anne’s contractions began. “We were in contact with the birth center midwife over the phone. We didn’t rush to the center immediately or anything. It started very early in the morning, so my husband and I walked for quite some time outside the house…the road was empty because it was so early. When the day began and people started coming out, we decided to go for a drive. We kept driving around, and once in a while I would have a contraction. We were waiting for the labor to really be established.”
They arrived at the Birth center in the afternoon. Anne waked around the bedroom, till she was dilated enough to enter the warm waters of the pool. “The room was dim, and the music was so lovely. I was so relaxed” says Anne. “ When I got into the water, it felt like I was floating. There was none of the heaviness that I was feeling on the ground. I was completely relaxed, almost dozing I think. In between, I would feel a really intense contraction – but I can’t really call it pain. It was just a wave of a ‘tight grip’ which would come and then go. After some time, the baby crowned, and I touched her head. It was unbelievable… I was so overcome with happiness! The baby was so calm – she wasn’t in discomfort, or crying…when Jacob cut the cord, that was when she started crying.”
Baby Manna was born at 4.15 p.m. Mother and baby were examined and pronounced totally fine. Anne went back home at 7.00 p.m. that same evening.  Anne reminisces, “It was so wonderful – it was like the two midwives who supported the birth were like my own family – my own sister, mother or best friend. They were there to do everything I needed in support. They were my angels. The actual experience was so much better than I had expected it to be!” Post Partum visits from  the midwives to Anne’s home continued for 90 days.
Does Anne feel different since the experience? “ Yeah, I think I was quieter before…now I am stronger when it comes to making decisions…I somehow feel more alive now.” “I also used to be afraid of water ever since I was a child. Since I chose to have a water birth and actually experienced this, I have completely lost this fear of mine!”
Jacob, Anne’s husband is a Structural Designer.  He was present throughout the birth. He says the biggest thing for him was that he actually got to be part of an experience that he had only heard about till now. “I didn’t have much tension, as Anne said – in my family all the births were normal. So I didn’t have a fear of complications automatically attached to the idea of a birth. And we had seen videos and done our own research about water births. We knew that we were in good hands.” There are things that have really been brought home by this experience though. “I have seen and experienced for myself that in hospitals many times, the reasons for having C-sections is overrated. Of course, there may be cases where it is required, but I think many times, there is over intervention. Every pregnancy past the due date is not dangerous, and having the cord around the baby’s neck is not a primary danger either. Our baby had her cord around the neck, but it was easily slipped off with some help when she came into the water. So there are many workable solutions to many of these things without having direct intervention as the first resort.”



No comments:

Post a Comment