Saturday, March 8, 2014

Birth in a crowd, noisy and loud!!!!Hopes for a home birth next time….. Fey Weston

I gave birth to my first baby in Bangalore last March. Many of my friends in the UK had had water births and spoke highly of them. I was keen to have a water birth myself and ideally a home birth. At the time I was due there was no possibility of water birth in Bangalore and no midwives were available for a home delivery so I decided to go to the new and well recommended hospital which was only ten minutes’ drive from my home.

A little fearful of the stories about people in India being strapped to a bed as soon as they went to the labor ward and being pushed to have unnecessary caesareans, I advised the two gynecologists I consulted at the hospital that I would like to have as natural a birth as possible.

On the 5th of March 2011, I awoke at 6.30 am and my contractions were already only five minutes apart. I paced the apartment for an hour before waking up my husband and then had some breakfast and tried to keep myself busy, as I wanted to spend as little time as possible at the hospital. Around 11.30 am my contractions were three minutes apart so we went to the hospital and went straight to the delivery room. The room was spacious and clean and although hooked up to the monitor, I was able to walk around a little or get on my knees as discussed with the gynecologists. My husband was there the whole time (the cricket was on in the background!) and towards the end a nurse supported me on one side whilst he supported the other. At some point a junior doctor came into the room (many people came in and out and had a good look around during the whole process, at one point I think there were about ten people in the room) and shouted at the nurse because I was not in bed. The poor nurse tried to explain that I didn't want to be but was quickly shot down by the junior doctor, I think I may have shouted at her at this point and my husband also explained that the gynecologist was ok with this when luckily one of them came in and told her it was perfectly fine. I was given laughing gas and air, though I couldn't get the hang of it for some time (I certainly didn't get the giggling fits you see on TV!) and managed well through the contractions but after what felt like "one more push" for the thousandth time, the gynecologist used a ventouse and then forceps. Not exactly what I had planned, but not too far off. Baby Olivia was born at 6.30 pm, exactly 12 hours after my contractions had started.

As soon as Olivia arrived, my husband was asked to go to the finance office because they hadn't received all of the papers from the insurance company. He refused to leave but was constantly pestered until he went. After cleaning up we moved to a recovery room which again was private and perfectly fine, however we were again pestered by people constantly coming in and out of the room and turning on the lights without asking all through the night. The nurses came in at regular intervals to give me (and sometimes Olivia) medicine, tablets or injections without explaining what it was and what it was for and seemed extremely shocked that I would want to know and didn't always know the answer. When Olivia had to go for tests, injections or a bath they wanted to take her alone, without either myself or my husband being present, however when we insisted then they did let us accompany her. I was treated like an invalid and was asked to get into a wheelchair the first time I left the room (they eventually let me leave when I insisted it was really not necessary). As everything was fine with Olivia I wanted to leave as soon as possible as we had hardly slept the night before due to the constant comings and goings.  However since I had had stitches they wanted us to stay another night but said we could leave at 11 am the next day. We spent another sleepless night in the hospital and packed up ready to leave at 11 but did not get out until 4 pm due to constant delays in checks and paperwork.

My pregnancy, labour and postnatal period all went well and I was satisfied with the antenatal care provided by the doctors. The gynecologists had both spent time in the UK so understood my concerns and wishes and kept me totally informed about everything. However over the two days I spent in the hospital I would estimate 30 different people (excluding personal visitors) came into my room. The constant stream of people during and after labour (nurses, cleaners, catering staff, people just having a look at the white woman), the giving of medicine without explanation (including painkillers when I was not even asked if I would like them) and the administrative issues did somewhat cloud the experience and reinforce my hope for a home birth next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment